Sunday, August 29, 2010

Witching You...




This image is from one of the new sets called "Greeting Card Kids" in the Stampin' Up catalog this year. I have been wanting to try water coloring and thought this would be a good set to use. There are 4 different images in this set so it spans several seasons. The image was stamped using Black Stazon ink onto watercolor paper. I think my image has too much color added to it to actually be considered water coloring, but I still like how it turned out. I need to practice my water coloring technique but that just gives me an excuse to create more cards.
 
To achieve the shimmery look on the background, the black card stock was first embossed with the spider web embossing folder then spritzed with a mixture of about 1/8 teaspoon of silver Pearl Ex powder mixed with about 2 ounces of liquid hairspray. I purchased the hairspray and the spray bottles at the dollar store. I prefer to use the liquid hairspray rather than rubbing alcohol because once it drys the Pearl Ex doesn't rub off. The mixture lasts a long time you just have to shake it up really well before each use. You can make any card stock shimmer with this mixture and try using different colors of powder for various effects. This is a great look on Christmas cards!

Supplies Used: Paper: Watercolor Paper, Only Orange, Lovely Lilac, Basic Black, Naturals White; Ink: Black Stazon, Various SU Colors; Stamps: Greeting Card Kids, Haunting Halloween; Other: Watercolor Brush, Web Embossing Folder, Only Orange Grosgrain Ribbon, Dew Drops, Silver Pearl Ex Powder, Dimensionals

No comments: