Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Christmas Hippopotamus




"I want a hippopotamus for Christmas".....now that you have that song stuck in your head you know my inspiration for this card. It seems like everyday I get in my car to run errands or go to work this song comes on the radio. I had to finish getting things for Thanksgiving yesterday and as I was backing my car out of the garage this song came on the radio. I already knew the color challenge on Splitcoaststampers was Pretty in Pink, Bermuda Bay and Old Olive but I was stumped as to what I was going to make and as soon as this song came on I realized I had to make a card with a hippopotamus on it. The card base is 5 1/2" square. All of the circles were cut using the Making Memories cutting system. The scallop circle was created using the corner rounder punch (the instructions for that are here). I know it doesn't look like I used Old Olive but the thin lines in the plaid are stamped in Old Olive and the ornament is colored using Old Olive. The Pretty in Pink card stock was spritzed with frost white shimmer paint mixed with alcohol after it was embossed with the snowflakes. It gives the card stock a nice shimmer and since its mixed with alcohol it dries really fast. To speed up the drying time I use my heat gun and it dries in a matter of seconds. I love how this card turned out. I probably won't be making many of these but I had fun making this one.

Supplies Used: Paper: Whisper White, Pretty in Pink, Bermuda Bay; Ink: Pretty in Pink, Bermuda Bay, Old Olive, Mambo Melon, Palette Noir Black, Various SU Markers; Stamps: Pun Fun, Alphabits, Perfect Plaids; Other: Bermuda Bay Polka Dot Grosgrain Ribbon, Felt Snowflake, Snowflakes Cuttlebug Embossing Folder, Making Memories Circle Cutters, 1/4" Square Punch, Corner Rounder Punch, White Signo Gel Pen, Frost White Shimmer Paint, Dew Drops, Dimensionals

No comments: